2017 Health Plans Updates
Individual Health Insurance
American Health Care Act of 2017
- Link to Benefits Pro Legislative Updates
- Link to Washington Post Article – What’s in the Republican Health Care Bill
- H.R. 1628 American Health Care Act of 2017
- AHCA Section by Section Summary
All carriers have lost their appetite for individual health insurance clients as reflected by their recent actions including rate hikes that range from 50% to 67%. This affects over 250,000 Minnesotans. Open Enrollment begins November 1st and continues through January 31st.
- Announced cancellation of 103,000 policies this past June. These policies will all have to be rewritten to a new plan in 2017.
- Will only write new individual health plans in their Blue Plus Networks. Plans will be offered both on and off the MNSure Exchange. Average rate increase 55%.
- Will write an unlimited number of policies with 2017 effective dates.
- Reduced total first year gross commissions to a level $18.00 per family and $9.00 per individual the same amounts will be paid on renewals.
- Plans will be offered in all MN counties with the exceptions of Benton, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Crow Wing, Stearns.
- If you are not contracted with Blue Cross contact us today.
- Last week announced they will only write a limited number of policies in 2017. As of today, it looks like that means only 7,000 new policies and 43,000 renewals. Officials at Medica said they would not be surprised to write all their available new policies during the first few days of November.
- All new policies need to be written through MNSure. Average rate increase of 59.4%
- No commissions will be paid on new individual policies sold this year.
- Renewal commissions will be paid on policies sold in past years that renew in 2017.
- Limiting plans to 7 Metro counties including, Anoka, Carver, Chisago, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, Washington and 4 counties in the St. Cloud area including Benton, Stearns, Sherburne and Wright.
- Their target enrollment is 66,800 individual plans for these counties. Average rate increase of 50%.
- 9,100 people will lose coverage in counties where Health Partners will no longer offer coverage.
- Short-term plan offerings are also limited to the counties outlined above.
- Approximately 1,700 plans in place
- Will not be offering new enrollment in 2017
- Average rates increase 63%
- Enrollment must be done through MNSure
- Enrollment is limited to specific counties and 30,000 individuals
This market is attractive to all the major carriers. Business Owners in some counties will have over 200 plans to choose from. Rising costs in the individual markets and narrow networks will prove to push many qualified prospects into small group plans.
Agents who use our NexBen proposal tool and tap into the expertise of Mike Oothoudt, our new group health Producer Consultant, should experience tremendous productivity. firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost plans will Sunset for new business January 1st 2018 and can only be written through 2017 AEP. All carriers have announced their 2017 rates and plan options for Cost, Advantage and Traditional Medicare Supplement plans. The easiest way to compare them is to use the NexBen proposal tool. Don’t forget about traditional Medicare Supplements with Blue Cross and Mutual of Omaha both offering great choices. And some stand-alone PDP plans that pair nicely with these plans include, Humana, Silver Scripts, Aetna-Coventry, and AARP.
You will want to contact Beth McDonald for the paperwork to get contracted with any new Health or PDP carrier. email@example.com
Click Here for brief NexBen video overview.
Click Here to schedule one-on-one NexBen Training with Naomi
Many of you will also benefit from using SmartAgent because this client relationship management tool is the perfect way to data mine your book of business for both new and renewal business.
Click Here for brief Smart Agent overview
Click Here to register for an upcoming SmartAgent Training Webinar
- Health & Ancillary Products
- Life/DI/LTCI – Blended Products
- Commission Accounting
- Tech Support
- Strategic Planning
- Gloria Roesner – Director of Health Products Services
- Mike Oothoudt – Producer Consultant Group Health Products
- Naomi Buie – Software Tools & Voluntary Products
- Lou Filip – Producer Consultant Annuities & Blended Products
- Tim Nelson – Internal Producer Consultant Life, DI & LTCi
- Andy Wayt – External Producer Consultant Life, DI & LTCi
- Dan Cassada – External Producer Consultant Life, DI and LTCi
- Ed Andrist – External Producer Consultant Life, DI and Volunary
- Joe Fitzgerald – Life, DI, LTCi Contracting & Pending Status
- Stacey Braun – Commission Accounting Controller
- Sally Gutierrez – Admin & Commission Assistant
- Naomi Buie
- David Thesing – CFO, Producer Consultant
- Dave Martens – COO, Producer Consultant
- Todd Villeneuve – President, Producer Consultant